We are pleased to announce that we recently partnered up with LuxeHome to show our support for National Autism Awareness Month and Giant Steps! The 30 day event represents an opportunity to support and promote autism awareness, acceptance and draw attention to the tens of thousands of individuals facing an autism diagnosis every year.
Our role was to design and produce the puzzle pattern which reflects the mystery and complexities of autism. We printed the puzzles for 10 showrooms and cut about 2,000 puzzle pieces from sintra…from there, the show rooms display the puzzles and sell the pieces for a donation. At the end of April, they will put the 10 individual puzzles together to form 1 large puzzle 5′ x 10′. The different colors and shapes represent the diversity of families living with the disorder. The brightness of the pieces signals hope – through research and increasing awareness. Each piece was combined to to form a large puzzle celebrating self-identity, acceptance and appreciation for how everyone does their part to make the world a better place for those living with this diagnosis.
…And in honor of the month, here are 10 things to know about Autism:
- 1 in 68 children (ages 1-17) have autism in the United States
- Autism is a developmental disorder
- Autism occurs in all social, racial and ethnic groups
- People with autism may communicate differently (words, devices, pictures, gestures)
- Autism can also affect how people with autism interact or relate with others
- Autism impacts how the brain interprets sensory experiences (sight, touch, sound, smell, taste)
- People with autism may use different types of “equipment” to relax and cope with difficult situations (headphones, chew tubes, pillows)
- People with autism have a variety of interests – some may be similar to yours
- If a person with autism is having difficulty, it’s best to give them space and use fewer words
- People with autism also like to have fun